As the sun goes down on 2013, let’s take a look at some of the most notable cruiser news items of the past year.
10. “Duffman man says…oh yeah!”…in one of the most surprising collaborations in recent memory, CULT teamed up with the Simpsons to put out the The Simpsons/CULT Duffman Cruiser.
9. The 22 inch wheel continued to show legs…S&M rolled out a 22” version of its popular ATF frame (in addition to a new 24” option) and FELT introduced a 22” entry-level complete.
8. Don’t call it a comeback…but then again maybe you should…We the People returned to the 24” scene with the trails-y Atlas 24. Subrosa also came back with the DTT TTWOFOUR frame. Liquid Bikes debuted a new american-made Feedback V2 frame.
(Wayne Keller testing the Subrosa DTT TTWO FOUR frame)
7. The tanwall tire also made an impressive return…showing up on completes from We The People and Free Agent, in addition to an aftermarket tire from Stolen. Hopefully this trend will continue in 2014 with more aftermarket options.
6. BMX Plus put the spotlight on cruisers is a big way in their September issue.
5. Still alive at five. Cruiser Revolution hit the 5-year mark. So stoked to still be going strong after all these years!
4. Austin, Texas might just be the cruiser capital of North America. After visiting in the spring, I can confirm the rumors are true…Austin is definitely a place where cruiser is king.
3. Sunday continued to spread the word about new school 24s. Whether its Bobby Parker promoting #TwoFourTuesday, or Sunday featuring 24” riders in their FB feed, Sunday was reppin’.
2. Stolen Bikes’ strong showing at Interbike…with a solid lineup of completes, frames, aftermarket parts and the debut of a 26” model…Stolen showed everyone that they mean business when it comes to cruisers.
1. And just like in 2012, some of the best moments of 2013 were captured in video. Whether it was the “BMX vs. MX” Gundars Osis edit, Brandon Brown’s race edit, Peter Ulbrich bowl riding on a Big Ripper, or the technical wizardy of Joe Cicman and Danny Sarkin flatlanding on Sunday Wave-Cs…there were some great edits to get stoked on.
Happy New Year!